Breaking News

Kwekwe To Endure Two More Weeks Under Lockdown

By Mellisa Gombe

Government extended the localised lockdown in Kwekwe for another two weeks following an increase in Covid-19 infections, it has been established.

Minister of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services, Monica Mutsvangwa informed the nation during Tuesday’s post-Cabinet briefing with the media.

This comes as a result of 27 new cases that were confirmed by health authorities in the city which highlighted that the Indian Variant was detected in some of the cases.

 “A total of 27 new cases have been confirmed from 56 residents tested at Mary Ward Children’s Home and a Secondary School in Kwekwe District,” said Mutsvangwa.

According to statistics as of Tuesday, out of a total of 74 the city remains with 70 active cases, 3 recoveries and one death.

Minister Mutsvangwa urged the public to take the procured vaccines in the fight to contain the pandemic and also warned against any form of complacency.

 “The nation is advised that Covid-19 is still with us and that we are not out of the woods, hence the need to continue to observe the Covid-19 stipulated guidelines,” she said.

Meanwhile,  a fire that destroyed Kwekwe General Hospital staff quarters on Tuesday left nine families, including doctors, physiotherapists, nurses and an administrator homeless.

This follows another fire incident that destroyed a flat occupied by doctors at Bulawayo’s Mpilo Central hospital last week. Nhau/Indaba

About newsroom

Check Also

Hwange Residents Embrace Freedom Of Information Act

Hwange residents have applauded the Freedom of Information Act, saying it marks the beginning of …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *